Coffee is one of the most popular beverages worldwide, enjoyed by over 80% of adults in the USA only. As today – 29th October – is the International Coffee Day, we gathered a handful of fun – and informative – facts about coffee for this occasion.
1. In the ranking of most valuable traded commodities worldwide, coffee gets the second place. The only more valuable item is petroleum (a.k.a. crude oil). These two are followed by natural gas, gold and wheat, in this order.
2. There are 2.25 million cups of coffee consumed daily worldwide.
3. Country with the largest coffee production has been Brazil for over 150 years now, accounting on 40% of the worlds manufacture. It is followed by Vietnam (16%) and Colombia (12%).
4. There is almost 7 times more coffee drank in New York than in other US cities. No wonder it has a reputation of the busiest cities in America.
5. The word coffee comes from Arabic and means wine of the bean. We knew it has something to do with wine.
6. In Italian, espresso literally means when something is forced out. Well, it definitely can force some things out…
7. The name cappuccino initiated because the drink looked similar to the clothing of the Capuchin monks.
8. In Hamburg, Germany, coffee pods has been banned from government-run buildings in 2016, due to creation of unnecessary waste and their aluminium content. No Nespresso there!
9. What does coffee has to do with webcams? The first webcam was constructed in Cambridge in order to monitor the status of a coffeepot.
10. Caffeine, when added to sperm, makes the sperm cells swim more vigorously. Moreover, it is scientifically proven that when men drink coffee, caffeine enters not only blood stream, but seamen as well. So, drink up, boys!
11. The most expensive coffee in the world is Kopi Luwak, made out of beans excreted by a Sumatran wild cat. Unfortunately, the animals are often mistreated, kept in very small and dirty cages, not given food other than coffee beans.
We hope you enjoyed this article and that next time you enjoy a cup of joe with friends, you can show off your newly gained knowledge!
@FACTSlides. “37 Facts about Coffee ←FACTSlides→.” Coffee Facts:. FACTSlides.com, 2016. Web. 30 Sept. 2016.
“The Current State of the Global Coffee Trade | #CoffeeTradeStats.”International Coffee Organization –. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Sept. 2016.http://www.rd.com/food/fun/10-weird-facts-about-coffee/
https://www.facebook.com/chris.swift.982. “Top Ten Most Traded Commodities | Rogers Family Company.” Rogers Family Coffee. N.p., 2016. Web. 30 Sept. 2016.
“Coffees from the Americas : Colombia.” Coffee Review. N.p., 2016. Web. 30 Sept. 2016.
“What Is Cat Poop Coffee? (aka Kopi Luwak Coffee).” Cat Poop Coffee Inc. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Sept. 2016.
“G*LD 4’$ BLCK #.” G*LD 4’$ BLCK #. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Sept. 2016.